For all types of couples, a destination wedding is becoming the popular option to tie the knot. What is better than having your nuptials in an exotic location at potentially a lesser cost than a traditional wedding affair, right?!
An intimate wedding with your nearest and dearest with a lot less stress involved. There is a place for every style and budget from gorgeous sunny beach weddings to beautiful mountain tops to places like Europe! The world is your oyster!
We are sharing some tips today to help you decide whether Destination is the option for you!
How about a little French Polynesia????? .......My oh my does that sound amazing!
Or some mountain scenery?
A little Paris maybe? Oui, Oui!
Or is a grand majestic castle on the list of contenders?
Now here are some tips to begin planning your destination wedding away!
- Although you won't have a huge guest list, it is still wise to have a tentative headcount when choosing your destination + venue.
- Plan in advance, especially if you want to block, book and get discounted rates at resorts.
- Ensure all those invited have valid passports + vacation time. It is wise to put as much detail on your Save-the-dates as possible so they can arrange themselves to participate. You wouldn't want one of your bridal party to not be able to attend!
- Two-in-one! The wedding is likely to be at a romantic getaway so why not stay and have your honeymoon there too? For most of your guests it is probably also a vacation opportunity so make the most of "holiday-ing" with your friends + family and stay a little longer!
- Research the weather of your destination to prevent any surprises. Definitely choose your wedding attire accordingly.
- Know and become familiar with the laws and legal requirements of getting married in the chosen country.
- Use recommended + reputable vendors only! If you are not able to fly out and do a little reconnaisance yourselves then perhaps see if there is an event coordinator included in your wedding package that can do the leg work and get feedback to you.
- Do not check-in anything you will want on the big day.... carry-on with you just in case.
- Your guests' attendance is a gift in itself, so perhaps don't have a gift registry. Also be considerate of your guests varying budgets and provide options! As a gesture why not throw a Welcome dinner to thank them!
- If you can afford it, use a wedding planner who specializes in destination weddings. They are more likely to know the ins and outs of getting married abroad and will know vendors etc.. to ensure a smooth running event!
Article written by Keenda Sisouphanh ~ Intern at Style & Elegance Wedding and Event Coordination
Style & Elegance Wedding and Event Coordination