We are family! That is certainly the case for some people that love their pet so much they couldn’t imagine their big day without them. Of course it certainly adds a cute factor and the most popular attendant is a man’s best friend; a dog! Here are a few tips to make sure it all goes smoothly.
- Confirm that pets are allowed - at your ceremony venue, you don’t want to make plans to include them only to be disappointed that pets are not permitted. Also make sure guests are at ease with your furry friend’s attendance in case of any phobias or allergies!
- Know your pet! - This will help you decide their role from simply standing with the wedding party or having more responsibility like being a ring bearer during the ceremony. For more control, consider having them pulled in a wagon or on a short leash.
- Practice makes perfect - so drill the routine into them and reward them with praise and treats.
- Hire a pet sitter who can act as your pet’s guide and ensure they are comfortable around your guests. They can make sure they are fed (not sneakily under the table) and them home after.
- Dressed for the occasion – make sure they are comfortable and keep it simple, safe and easy. A tux is adorable but not if they want to rip it off! Get them accustomed before the actual event. Any flowers must be toxic free for your little four-legged friend!
- Inform your photographer so they can plan to capture those magic moments.
- Be prepared to improvise as it may not go as rehearsed as pets also get stage fright and run their own path! Be happy with whatever happens and most importantly keep your pets safe and loved!
Is the thought of having your pet there on the big day too much? Then pay homage to them in another way and include them in your engagement/wedding photo shoot, save the date, invitations or favours.
Other pets both small and large have been included in weddings too!
Article written by Keenda Sisouphanh ~ Intern at Style & Elegance Wedding and Event Coordination
Style & Elegance Wedding and Event Coordination